None. I wouldn’t give any advice because I am not an expert in any way.
I would suggest that they do some reading up on the subject, there are a lot of great trans resources and a bunch of wonderful tumblr blogs where they talk about this every day.
You would be a thousand times better served listening to people who are vastly more informed and articulate than I am, trust me. They have their own voices and that’s who you should listen to, I promise.
I have enough time today to spend my time, answering this question before I get to other tasks today so here it goes venort…
Well I think it’d be easier to not recreate stereotypes, if you made multiple trans characters. Some non-binary trans characters, and some binary trans characters. Also make them come in multiple shapes and sizes /etc/.
Also break stereotypes about all CAMAB people having similar body types to other CAMAB people, and all CAFAB people having similar body types to other CAFAB people.
Also make some (but not all) of the trans CAMAB characters very short small and dainty, and some (but not all) of the trans CAFAB characters very large tall and solidly built, as well as some very large tall trans CAMAB characters and very small short trans CAFAB characters.
Make some characters early transitioners, and some of them late transitioners, and at least some of the late transitioners look very much like most cis people to break the stereotype that all late transitioners are highly visible.
Make some characters who only transition socially, and some who only transition medically. Also make some trans characters who don’t transition medically and don’t transition socially.
Also make some of them queer, bisexual, pansexual, gay or lesbian, and make some of them heterosexual, and some of them asexual. Also try to make sure the majority of the characters (including trans characters) aren’t white, if any of them are at all.
Also make some of the characters have disabilities, some not obvious, and make some characters who aren’t skinny. Also make some characters experience dysphoria, and some of them not experience dysphoria, and make them experience dysphoria about different things.
Also make some of the characters religious, and some of the characters agnostic or atheist so it doesn’t contribute to stereotypes of ALL trans people being atheists/non-religious/agnostics OR all trans people being religious.
Also be sure to have some of the characters intersex, and some dyadic, and again, with some of them being in both groups being gender binary and some of them not, to break more harmful stereotypes.
Also be sure to have genderfluid characters. Make sure to have some gender ambiguous characters, to break the stereotype that you can tell someone’s gender just by their presentation, or what they look like. (And please make sure a lot of those characters, are trans CAMAB/transfeminine/trans women as well). (And please be sure lots of the trans CAMAB characters have autism, cause more stereotypes in need of breaking).
Also make some of the characters look very similar to other characters with different genders, and make a point that some of them don’t feel dysphoria about this, and some of them do.
Also while making some girly girl trans women, and some manly man trans men, also make some very butch trans women, and very feminine trans men as well. And make sure not all trans women have long hair, and that not all trans men have short hair.
Also for medically transitioning characters, be sure to make characters that have very different reasons for going on HRT. Including some who go on HRT just cause it feels like an improvement albeit with downsides. Also make some characters who didn’t know they were trans for a long time.
Just like cis women sometimes live publicly perceived as cis men, and cis men sometimes live publicly perceived as cis women, there are also trans women who are publicly perceived as cis men, and trans men who are publicly perceived as cis women. Not everybody expresses themselves in such a way, as to make their gender visible.
If you want to do anything groundbreaking, and possibly destroy a lot of common misconceptions about trans people, I strongly suggest you make a bunch of trans characters, rather than just one, and at the very least, give all those characters the diversity I described here.
I suggest you also ask some other trans people other than myself, more before going through with all this, but I strongly suggest you at least try to make a bunch of diverse characters as I described.
- sleep-eat-paint-repeat likes this
- nonhoration likes this
- terriblenerd likes this
- hobgoblinsandpeachfuzz likes this
- avatar-trisana reblogged this from everythingsbetterwithbisexuals
- sethdoesntloveyou reblogged this from gailsimone
- dungeonmaster11 reblogged this from gailsimone
- dungeonmaster11 likes this
- deerkinginthecourtofbears likes this
- rosescarletfairy reblogged this from filipfatalattractionrblog
- wheredatradeat reblogged this from everythingsbetterwithbisexuals
- bard-of-the-multiverse likes this
- greatgreedyguts likes this
- sparklyspacehugs reblogged this from gailsimone
- ajora likes this
- myfavouriteteacup reblogged this from gailsimone
- myfavouriteteacup likes this
- candlesandpretense likes this
- dogunderwater likes this
- wingnutlady likes this
- bellisadinosaur likes this
- andithought-my-jokeswerebad likes this
- erarose likes this
- 31stofjuly likes this
- missing-in-translation likes this
- ventusrex reblogged this from gailsimone
- graphitepusher likes this
- sigma-castell reblogged this from everythingsbetterwithbisexuals
- legionofdiversity likes this
- janzoo likes this
- bigandlittleatthesametime likes this
- comicberks likes this
- asentenceearly likes this
- matt-creates reblogged this from gailsimone
- sadlyhuman likes this
- buliajushnell likes this
- actorswithactionfigures likes this
- jessythewolf likes this
- jessythewolf reblogged this from gailsimone
- wintergrey reblogged this from gailsimone
- filipfatalattractionrblog reblogged this from gailsimone
- rufflet likes this
- everythingsbetterwithbisexuals reblogged this from gailsimone
- gingerbreadcat reblogged this from gailsimone
- swan2swan reblogged this from gailsimone
- acafenfan likes this
- laurythelatrator likes this
- gingerbreadcat likes this
- turkeybaconese likes this
- oohtheyhavenibbles likes this